Living with an alcoholic is far from what girls dream of when they fantasize about their wedding day. It is difficult to imagine that someone willingly wants to live "happily ever after" with a person addicted to alcohol, endure his aggression or complaints about life, clean up what is behind, take care of him, feel disgusted and ashamed for his behavior in front of neighbors, colleagues, friends and relatives. It's no wonder an alcoholic's marriage falls apart if nothing can make it override his desire to drink. However, there are brave women who fight to the end for their family, applying a variety of measures to the drunkard, the purpose of which is the same: so that the husband does not drink, to dissuade him from ruining his life (both his and his own). relatives) with an addiction. to intoxicated drinks.
The first thing to do is try to persuade him. If the desire to drink is associated with problems outside the family, with work, career, friends, and if alcoholism has not gone too far, it can easily be stopped, having found the support of relatives.
A constructive dialogue should only be started after careful preparation and taking into account certain rules:
- cannot speak to a person until he or she returns to a proper state and is able to understand reasonable arguments;
- don't try to convince an alcoholic while experiencing the "joys" of a hangover;
- It is not desirable to try to cause pity or, on the contrary, to make scandals for a person who drinks (even in a sober state), most of the time it is attention that is needed;
- can threaten a drunkard, but it is important to prepare for the execution of this threat;
- Before starting a conversation, it is advisable to seek the advice of a narcologist so that an alcoholic, if he has such a desire, can immediately go to the clinic for treatment.
If the wife manages to show the drinking husband the need to seek help, to convince him to at least try to change his life, this man will have a chance. This can also be helped by putting together a so-called "motivation list". You can work together to find a number of reasons why getting rid of alcoholism will not only be easy, but also beneficial. For example:
- to earn the respect of their children;
- to save money on a major purchase or a vacation trip for a month;
- to start learning something new instead of getting drunk or starting to build a career.
The reasons for each person can be individual. He can be motivated for the sake of a hobby, for example, playing sports or playing with a car in the garage, the main thing is that he dedicates all his free time to this and does not drink or is in bad company. He may need the help of a psychotherapist.
When persuasion has no answer
Conversations, convictions, allegations: in most cases, this is not enough to raise awareness.It is seldom possible to show a drinker that her lifestyle is destructive, because even if she believes in it, her own strength to combat alcohol dependence may not be enough. Instead, the best remedy is traditional medications and home remedies.
Industrial pharmacology drugs are designed to create a feeling of rejection of alcohol in a person who drinks, they can cause aversion to the drink, its appearance, taste and smell. It is enough to mix a similar drug with an alcoholic, add it to food or add it to a drink, and if you also drank vodka or even beer, you will instantly feel bad. Medicines with such an effect contain an active substance (or disulfiram or cyanamide), which interferes with the normal process of processing ethyl alcohol, causes the accumulation of metabolic products in the blood and, as a result, persistent symptoms of intoxication and hangover. And a person who has gotten sick at least once after alcohol poisoning will have an aversion to alcohol for a long time. If he adds a similar drug (Esperal tablets, Kolme drops, and their analogues) to a drunk, he can make him think twice before taking another dose of alcohol.
Once the drugs begin to work, another attempt can be made to persuade the alcoholic to undergo treatment by describing the benefits of treatment at a drug treatment clinic:
- constant monitoring of health status;
- psychological support, especially important for relapse prevention;
- qualified assistance with the restoration of internal organs damaged by abuse of ethyl alcohol.
Treatment in a hospital under the supervision of a narcologist is the best therapy against alcohol, which practically does not fail.
Alternative medicine against binge drinking is even more ingenious in getting sick people to stop drinking. Traditional methods suggest preparing decoctions and infusions that act in a similar way to official medicines, they speak of completely original remedies:
- green bugs: You can throw 4 bugs into a glass of alcohol to cause an unpleasant smell and taste and therefore aversion to alcohol itself;
- pepper - you can convince a person to stop drinking with the help of a tincture (3 drops per 1 liter of alcohol), which is created from red hot pepper (crushed, 20 gr. ), fillwith alcohol (500 ml) and infused for two weeks;
- birch smoke - You can ask to breathe on the smoky birch logs and then offer alcohol, after which you will develop a strong dislike of alcohol-containing products.
It is important to understand that treatment without the supervision of a specialist, even with traditional, albeit popular methods, must be carried out with extreme caution, otherwise a person may have not only an aversion to drinking and the desire tonot drink more, but also serious health problems.
The final stage of the fight
When all fighting methods are exhausted, there is only one last resort left: threatening the husband with separation if she does not stop drinking. At the same time, it is important to the wife of a drunkard:
- be ready to carry out your threat without multiple warnings (1-2 times will suffice);
- to leave her husband seriously, not to arouse pity and make him apologize;
- not believing in promises, vows and tears;
- get to work hard and fast: if the house belongs to the drinking husband, you should take out your things in his absence and go out for a while with the children;
- don't go back to the drunk until she actually proves he's started being treated.
You should not go back to your alcoholic husband if the situation of leaving and returning does not arise for the first time: sooner or later he will understand that her wife really cannot leave him, no matter how drunk she drinks.
To get rid of alcohol in the house, not allow drinking to occupy a significant place at the party, to "keep" untrustworthy friends out of the house. . . All of this is much easier to do than then to "poison" your spouse with means that cause dislike for ethyl alcohol. A positive example is a good reason for no one in the family to drink.